QueenSpark Books is the most longstanding and prolific community publisher in the UK.
QueenSpark Books was formed in 1972, part of a grassroots campaign for a nursery school - instead of a planned casino - in the Queens Park area of Brighton and Hove.
In the early years we published books documenting the lives of local people, part of a pioneering movement that highlighted working class lives and writing. In latter years, our books have included histories of the cinema and theatre in the city, accounts of recent migrants' lives, photographic collections and autobiographies.
QueenSpark Books produces these key outputs:
- Recording the histories of residents and communities and sharing and archiving those stories; both in print and digitally
- Publishing a range of high quality books, websites, photographs and other material about the social history of Brighton& Hove
- Facilitating collaborative projects between residents and organisations providing education, training events and mentoring in heritage and publishing
- Developing new audiences for QueenSpark Books
- Providing consultancy to others wanting to develop heritage and / or publishing / arts projects
View our Mission statement here.